Museum Signage Systems
* Ease of assembly
* Allows flush connection to the wall
* "Invisible" - cannot be seen when mounted
* Choice of sizes to suit artworks up to 440 lbs.
* Secure and can accommodate additional
* Modular components - can work on its own or in conjunction with track systems
The Ryman Hanger is our most popular solution for hanging artworks and is used by an international body of galleries, large and small, that includes The Tate, Getty and MoMA. Designed to attach artworks tight to the wall with no visible fixings, it is easy to install, enables adjustment, and has a choice of three levels of security. The Ryman Hanger also carries the official stamp of approval of the UK's Museum & Galleries Commission.
Ryman Hangers are sold in pairs and there are three sizes available that will handle artworks from the smallest etchings and watercolours right up to large flat-backed works weighing up to 200kgs.
Small Ryman sets work well with lightweight works like etchings and small to medium-sized watercolours. It is also useful for artworks where the timber framing is very narrow as the hanger is a mere 11mm wide.
Large Ryman sets work well for the vast majority of medium to large-sized artworks.
Extended Ryman sets work well for large heavy works, often those with glazing, and where the additional screw fixing points ensure a robust fixing to the frame.
For installations where it is important to inhibit or prevent opportunistic theft, we suggest you use the Ryman Hanger set. These are supplied with Spring Keepers which will prevent anyone from removing the artwork whilst the keepers are in place. It is difficult to remove the keepers without the individual bringing attention to their actions. This level of security is appropriate to the vast majority of artworks on display and is by far our most popular solution. We recommend the use of our specially-designed Ryman Tweezers to remove the Spring Keepers.
For the highest level of security we suggest our Ryman Hanger Security set. The Security Spring Keeper included in this set is easily inserted which then ‘locks’ the artwork in place. The Security Spring Keeper can only be removed by using our Ryman Security Key. We are the only company to manufacture these and each one is carefully numbered and its owner listed.
The Ryman Hanger is made of stainless steel so will be safe on your artwork and provide for many years of service. The Spring Keeper has a dulled ‘bronze’ finish that ensures it sits unobtrusively in the shadows behind the picture. The small Ryman Hanger measures 55mm x 11mm, the large Ryman Hanger 85mm x 16mm and the extended Ryman Hanger 105mm x 16mm.
In addition to fixing works discreetly to the wall, the Ryman can be used with any of our track systems. When used in conjunction with our storage hooks, artworks can be hung on a wide range of screens and storage facilities.
A pair of Ryman Hangers is required per artwork, so they are all sold in pairs. All that is required to use the Ryman Hanger are screws to suit your particular artwork. We recommend panhead, screws as these provide a clean smooth finish, but if these are not available then countersunk screws will work.
For Small Ryman Hangers you will require 3.5mm diameter screws at a length to suit your artwork.
For Large and Extended Ryman Hangers you will require 4mm diameter screws at a length to suit your artwork.
Instructions – Hanging System Ryman Hanger
1. Screw the two Ryman plates (the steel bridge) in a vertical position to the rear of your artwork approximately a quarter of the way down the side frames. Place the screws in the center of each slot (as this allows for adjustment later) and measure the distance from center to center of the two Ryman plates.
2. Fix two screws into the wall at the desired height and the same distance apart as the plates on the artwork. There should be approximately 4mm clearance under the head of the screw.
3. Now hang the artwork so that the Ryman plates fit over the screw heads in the wall. Stand back and see if the artwork is hanging level. If required, remove it, loosen the Ryman Plate screws and adjust up or down to achieve the desired position before retightening.
If desired, you can add the Spring Keeper (or Security keeper) into the space between the artwork and the Ryman Plate, always with the spring facing towards the wall.
2 x Ryman Hanger Plates
2 x Keepers
What’s not included: Screws - the screw length needs to suit your artwork